Thursday, March 3, 2011

Needlecraft March 1931

Go back 80 years........

You have just received your March issue of Needlecraft in the mail. You turn to the third page and you are enchanted with the article titled "Kitchen Aprons - Having Distinctive Charm".




"With a length of unbleached cotton, plenty of bias-fold and some charming designs for decoration, the construction of a fetching and practical apron is easy for any modern needlewoman." The first paragraph proclaims!

Starting on the left, "Ship Ahoy" has rose binding and black outline embroidery. "Lucky Clover" is of course- green applique clovers with green binding. Next is "Bonnibel" with blue bellflower appliques and blue binding. "Ringflower" is bound in lavender with flowers of rose, lavender and blue.

They are still enchanting after 80 years! I wish I had the patterns for them. Some day I am going to draft the patterns for them. I love the appliques and embroidery! Can't you just see them in your mind's eye in color?!

5 comments:

  1. Umm, I hope you draft them soon, I am ready to sew them all! Do have any more old magazines you are going to post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so cute Heide, and Fun !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for comments!Maybe I will move these aprons up on the list! They would be really fun to make. I haven't done applique in a long time. Would be fun to do again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, YES!! That header is just perfect!! So glad you started blogging, Heide! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you don't mind, but I found you blog while doing some research for one of my own blogs. I have referenced this post & a couple of others on a post about aprons my great-grandmother was making in 1936. The post will go up tomorrow. http://1936diaryirenesmithdolton.blogspot.com/

    I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete