Friday, October 28, 2011

The 1947 General Electric "Stratoliner"

Did you notice the stove in the background of my pictures last week?
  A 1947 GE Stratoliner!! Isn't it a beauty!
"It's your Range dreams all wrapped up in one - the newest "Speed Cooking" beauty by General Electric!" Quote from ad
I bought it at an estate sale a couple of years ago, for $6.50. That is right $6.50! Who could pass up a bargain like that?!?

 "Streamlined? Just look at it! Sparkling - clean too - and so simple to keep that way!"


"Only General Electric has this big, easy-to-clean Tripl-Oven!" Really? This is big?!?

 "Most versatile range of any type ever built... The new GE Stratoliner boils, broils, bakes, simmers, fries, cans, pressure-cooks, roasts, steams, braises."

Mom found the manul in a local antique store, which was very exciting! I thought it would be fun to have some old ads for it too. The stove originaly cost $334.75. And had all the modern features; timer, broiler, even a built in pressurer cooker! 


I don't think the previous owner did much cooking, the stove is in great shape! I was vetoed by the family from using it until it is re-wired, which has not been done yet. So for now it makes a great filing cabinet! The other problem is it weights half a ton. Seriously, they don't build things like they use to. I don't know what we are going to do when is needs to be moved.

14 comments:

  1. Fantastic cooker you need to get it re-wired and what a bargin. Your mum is clever to find the manual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I did... I've been wanting one similar to yours, but down here they run for about 500 to 750 dollars. So I am taking my time in buying one. For now I'll do with the one my mama gave me as a gift (brand new frigidaire) several years ago. Anyhow, I love your stove and the price was GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I have a great stove identical to the one mentioned that I am selling. It's a 1947 GE Stratoliner that my Grandmother purchased new and cooked on up until last year. If anyone is interested, please contact me at aprilrich7@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have almost the exact same stove! I think that the only difference is that my knobs are white and my clock is on the other side. I LOVE my stove. I just wish that it fully worked. Plus I have never figured out how to use the pressure cooker part ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is so neat!! Did yours come with the pressure cooker pot?

      I would recomend looking around for a manual, they are fairly easy to find.

      Thanks for stopping by Apron History!

      Delete
  5. I have this exact stove in the 48 model (so I was told) and I love her. I'm going to miss her, we have nowhere to put her anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sad! I love mine and look forward to the day I can acutally use it! Not sure what model mine is....

      Delete
  6. What a great retro stove. I bet you can't wait to put on a vintage apron and get that baby cranked up!!!!
    Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I just moved into a new apt and this is my stove :) prob is, I don't know how to use the oven. Where is the broiler, are bottom drawers storage, upper left a warming tray?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How super fun! I have never actually cooked on my stove (needs to be re-wired). I would suggest you look online for a manual, it wasn't too hard to find mine and I think I have seen a few since then.
      You are right, bottom drawers are storage, left is warming and right is the oven (kind of tiny!). Also the back left burner might be able to lower and a pressure cooker/soup pot be used. The pot usually comes with the stove. I was foolish enough to clean out the drawers of my stove before I bought it, thinking it was all junk! So no pressure cooker for me!

      Gook Luck!

      Delete
  8. Hi, I have the same oven/range in my home. Works great and has the pressure cooker pot and all! Looks great, white, lights work... I want to sell it and wondering how much to ask. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those old stoves really are workhorses aren't they? Unfortunately, I don't have any advice or any idea what they are selling for. I bought mine at an estate sale for $6.50!

      Delete
  9. This is my stove! We are thinking of selling. Because ours oven is just too small for meals for our growing family (currently 5 kiddos) but I do love it too, the classic look fits so well in our 100 year old home. But at the same modern convenience may win out, if we don't find a buyer we will probably store it for when we have an emptier nest lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often looked at the oven and thought it was small. Though, it makes me laugh as the adverts declare how large it was!

      Delete