Monday, June 18, 2012

It Happened in Brooklyn

My sister and I watched "It Happened in Brooklyn" this weekend. Twice! Starring Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Durante, Kathyrn Grayson and Peter Lawford. So many great actors packed into one film! The storyline is very simple and sweet. A returning GI tries to resume life in his hometown of Brooklyn along the way encountering a lovely music teacher, friends old and new, dreams out of reach and lots of songs!
The best part? Jimmy Durante cooking spaghetti wearing an APRON! He then sings "I Believe" still wearing it. The apron is so cute, I wouldn't mind one......

5 comments:

  1. That is a really fun movie! I have the sheet music for the song "Time After Time" from the movie. It has always been one of my favorite songs to play on the piano. Have you ever seen "Two Girls and a Sailor"? That is another fun World War II musical with Jimmy Durante.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have! And loved it! Thanks for reminding me about it, I had kinda lost the it. Now I think we need to watch it again!
      Van Johnson is one of our favorites. He is also in a really cute Esther Williams movie, "Thrill of a Romance" as a returning soldier.

      How marvelous you have the sheer music to "Time after Time" it is a beautiful song! Is it old sheet music? from the 40s?

      Delete
  2. Yes, it is the original sheet music from the 1940's. I have been collecting vintage sheet music since my early teens. My current project is to find all of the original Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald sheet music for there popular duets. I have a couple, but it is a little slow going. : )

    I have seen "Thrill of Romance". I love all of the Esther Williams and Van Johnson movies, and have watched them all multiple times!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun Sarah!
      We love Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald! Unfortunatly, their movies are so hard to find. I don't think we have seen them all, even though we have tried! They are so funny and marvelous singers. I think we have a cd of their songs.

      Delete
  3. ....When I'm calling youououoooo... Oh now I really need to watch Rosemarie! Those were such fabulous movies. It is funny that JImmy Durante wore the apron for the whole scene, I guess it just looked homey? So cute.

    ReplyDelete