Thursday, July 26, 2012

1940 Home Arts Needlecraft

 Among my recent finds are these two lovely Needlecraft magazines. I have picked up quite a few now and am very excited as these are my first ones from 1940! Right around this time they changed their name from just Needlecraft to Home Art Needlecraft.
 Needlecraft has a bit of everything....... embroidery.........
Articles on homemaking....."Housework is lighter and easier since the amazing developments and advances in labor and time saving equipment and appliances. Electricity, gas, bottled gas, and kerosene are bringing undreamed comforts and conveniences to even the humblest of homes."
 Don't you love the ladies in their aprons hard at work?
Crafts..... A Pretty How-To-Do......."a simple to make party bag"....
 and of course Fashion!!

 this issue includes cooking......
......a patriotic Apron!
"A gay little apron of deep blue is trimmed with red and white polka-dotted fabric and simply decorated with daisies done in heavy white pearl cotton - for the 4th!"
 ........And more fashion! Such cute blouses!

16 comments:

  1. Wow the ideas one could get to sew an outfit looking at these sketches. What treasures you have found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very neat! I love the dress style ideas, and the cover with quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I loved that quilt cover too. Kind of sad there wasn't anything else on quilting in the magazine.

      Delete
  3. What a GREAT find! I love these type of magazines. Sadly our modern magazines don't cover all the important information of being a housewife or homemaker like they did back in the old days. But thanks to the women of the 1940s who cared for these magazines very well, we can now enjoy reading them all over again...I adore all the great information from embroidery, fashion, and how to make everyday house work go smoother. ;)
    xox,
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree! What are our magazines going to tell future generations?
      There is a magazine I think you will like that is somewhat similar, in that it has canning, crafting, farming, housekeeping. Mary Jane's Farm http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/magazine.asp
      My sister just disvovered it and we are really enjoying it!

      Delete
  4. Home Arts Needlecraft are Wonderful magazines! The fashions and the cute little bag are probably my favorites in these two--but then, it's hard to decide. I seem to like all the pages. I agree with Jacqueline, we have those women of the 30s and 40s to thank for preserving these pieces of history--and thanks to you, we get to see them, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed them! I love the little article about making your bag, too cute!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I really like the embroidery on it. Couching looks intriguing.

      Delete
  6. So nice thank you for sharing...i just love those cute dresses...women were more feminine back then !!! BTW, nice blog...:))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Women did have a more feminine style then, yet so classy.

      Delete
  7. Hi Heidi! I just started following your blog and came over from Dru's. She had a wonderful feature on you and your blog and I couldn't resist! I love those era's myself. I'll be back for sure! Lovely blog and topics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just look at that wonderful new wringer washer! Yikes. I've heard horror stories about those. The magazines are fantastic. I love the opening photo. That is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this old stuff! I have you marked to favorites and come back every week or so to visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Apron History! Thanks for stopping by Debra!

      Delete