Thursday, March 5, 2015

Simple Goodness


Earlier this week, I was craving some simple comfort food. With the weather gloomy and snowy and spring apparently far away, something a little extra special was needed. How much better can you get then a simple bread pudding? Bread, milk, apples and cinnamon. Yum! 
For some reason  I came home from work with bread pudding and apples stuck in my head. I wasn't sure where I got the idea, but a quick look through my cookbook collection and I discovered Brown Betty is a type of apple bread pudding. The main difference being there is more apples in it then bread.
 I decided to go with a traditional bread pudding and add one chopped apple (we needed all that carb goodness!) and vanilla extract. We have a local bakery that we buy our bread at and it gets stale quickly, but makes divine bread pudding!
When you need a simple basic recipe one can always count on Betty Crocker! This edition is from the late 1950's.


6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I haven't had bread pudding in ages. I love the idea of adding some chopped apple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! I would suggest you use a soft apple or cook them a bit before adding as our apples were a little crunchy still. I used what was in the fridge which was a Gala. I think they are a crisper apple anyways.

      Delete
  2. Great minds think alike. I was hunkering for something similar so I made the Bisquick Magic Pie which is like a custard pie but it's almost gone and I have 1 apple sitting on my counter....hmmmm. thanks for the idea...it looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds do think alike! :) I think it is the time of hear too, craving some warm comfort food.

      Delete
  3. The bread pudding looks delicious. I've never made bread pudding...or tasted it. Need to try making one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is delicious! A very old-fashioned dish. Very much like a custard and so easy to make. My sister even makes in the microwave!

      Delete